วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 12 สิงหาคม พ.ศ. 2553

Discover the Joy of Sewing by Accident


Image : http://www.flickr.com


The saddest day in my life was the day we took Nans to the nursing home.

It was a week later when the family gathered at 514 Church street where my grandmother lived for 45 years. Our mission, remove furniture, repair and paint walls so we can rent or sell the house.

We were informed by uncle Bill that if we wanted anything take it. But, aunts and uncles had first right if approval. It was important to me to find something to remember Nana by. I waited my turn with tears in my eyes and finally picked up several small items.

Two days later, for a reason I did not understand, my father came by my home with an old sewing machine. One I had seen, but shown no interest in, at Nana's home. I opened the drawers of the oak cabinet and discovered that I was the proud owner of a 1910 Singer sewing machine. I know this because I found the original manual.

I had absolutely no interest in sewing I saw no need to make something I could buy at the Mall. Besides, why go to the trouble of making a dress that would be out of style next season.

It took two months to find a job for my new Singer. It was a simple hemming job that took me two hours to complete. What an enjoyable experience it was.

and the sense of accomplishment was overwhelming. I was hooked.

My first project was the little black dress, a 1920s design by Coco Chanel.

It is still in style to this day. My next several projects were variations of the little black dress in other colors,some with matching jacket.

My love for sewing started three years ago. I have since purchased a modern sewing machine. I stayed with Singer because my first served me well. My new machine came with many great features, some of which I still have not used, but I will.

I sometimes use the 1910 Singer, but I consider it an antique, an oak and iron work of art.It still functions as it did when it was new 100 years ago.

I have become that girl who is a good cook and makes her own clothes. Nana would be proud.




Charley Meyers is a enthusiastic collector and memorabilia with a passion for sewing. She would like to encourage other Ezine Article authors to share their stories and experiences You can visit her web site at http://thebestsewingmachine.net

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: